In addition, to enrolling for online electrician courses, persons with an interest in pursuing electrician careers can join an internship program. These programs have proven popular with students of all ages across the country by their training strength. Unlike the regular classroom training, apprentice programs let you get practical skills together with classroom instruction. Such programs are suitable for individuals seeking to avoid the steep tuition fees they come with attending college.
As such, most traineeship programs happen out in the real world such that students are associated to an electrical shop. Typically, internships are available for workshops that fall under union membership and shops, not under the labor union. While all the programs with giving you same training and exposure there exist significant differences that require considerations.
The type of internship program you enroll for can have considerable influence on your career as a trusted electrician, and, therefore, you need to consult widely before joining.
Working in the union-sponsored programs has important benefits as well as a shortcoming and here are a few of either to help to make up your mind.
Benefits of working in a union electrician shop
- High level of training. Labor union ensure that their members operate as per specific guidelines and as such, union shops have structured operations plans. Hence, the training programs follow a specific outline that is pre-approved by the relevant authorities. Under these programs, students receive proper training.
- Attractive pay. Union shops have a unified pay structure for all the staff members, which may be slightly higher that what the non-union shops offer. Due to government connections to the unions, all member shops have to make, clear they pay rates and adhere to set minimum rates.
- Attractive retirement benefits. The unions have great programs that enable you to lead a healthy life after retirement. As members of a union, electricians need to make a monthly contribution to their retirement funds. Failure to comply with the contributions might lead to late fees or fines.
- Working flexibility. With a nationwide presence, union members have the chance to work in a various part of the country. Hence, they get to travel and sample the diverse culture and various communities, which increase their life skills. They also get to work on a wide variety of projects that helps to grow their working knowledge and expertise.
- Powerful unions. As one of the strongest unions in the world, IBEW has your best interest at heart and strives to ensure just and fair working conditions for every member. Strong union presence ensures that employers respect your rights as an employee and that you receive fair wages for your services.
- Work restriction. As a member of a union, you cannot work outside the shops that are allied to that union as it is forbidden by the union’s by-laws. Failure to follow the rules might result in fines and punishments.
While all traineeships will offer you full training, joining online electrician courses increases your skill level and improves your jobs prospects.